The Council on Aging has upcoming events for St. Augustine and Nocatee
St. Augustine Record – USA TODAY NETWORK
The St. Johns County Council on Aging offers activities, services, programs and opportunities for children, parents, families, friends and neighbors of all ages. The main office is at the Coastal Community Center, 180 Marine St., in downtown St. Augustine and there are other community senior activity centers conveniently located throughout St. Johns County.
COA River House
The following programs will be held at the COA’s River House, 179 Marine St. in St. Augustine, beginning in November and December. Classes last four to seven weeks and begin the first week of November. River House will be closed November 8, November 24 and the last two weeks of December. For questions, call 904-209-3655 or email [email protected] For more information, visit www.coasjc.org/river-house:
- Individual technical assistance: 6 weeks starting Tuesday, November 1 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call 904-209-3655 to reserve a spot. Participation is free.
Around Hastings:Many resources available throughout Hastings
Major gift:St. Augustine retiree donates $100,000 to Council on Aging to improve safety and comfort
Registration is compulsory for the following programs and the number of places is limited. To view course details and register, go to https://coasjc.coursestorm.com/category/river-house:
- Ballroom dance group lessons: 6 weeks starting Tuesday, November 1 from 12:45 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Spanish for beginners and quasi-beginners: 6 weeks from Tuesday November 1st from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Tai Chi: Tuesdays and Thursdays for 6 weeks from Tuesday November 1st from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Line dancing: 6 weeks starting Tuesday, Nov. 1 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Spanish Level 2: 6 weeks starting Tuesday, Nov. 1, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Chair yoga: 6 weeks starting Wednesday, Nov. 2 from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Acrylic landscape painting start: 7 weeks from Wednesday, Nov. 2 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Intermediate / Advanced Tap: 7 weeks from Wednesday, Nov. 2 from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Intermediate acrylic painting: 7 weeks from Wednesday, Nov. 2 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Herbology: 6 weeks starting Wednesday, Nov. 2 from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Guitar, Jamming to the Classics: 5 weeks starting Wednesday, Nov. 16 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Ukulele Levels 1 & 2: 5 weeks starting Wednesday, Nov. 16 from 9:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Chair yoga: 5 weeks starting Thursday, Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Learn to play level 2 bridge: 6 weeks starting Thursday, November 3 from 10 a.m. to noon
- Belly Dance (Level 2): 6 weeks starting Thursday, Nov. 3 from 10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
- Introduction to calligraphy: 5 weeks from Thursday, Nov. 10 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Belly Dance for Fitness and Fun: 6 weeks starting Thursday, November 3 from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Colored Pencil Art: 6 weeks starting Thursday, November 3 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Tap for beginners: 6 weeks from Thursday, Nov. 3 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Open programs are free and do not require registration. No open programs will take place on November 8, November 24 or during the last two weeks of December. Visit www.coasjc.org/river-house for more information:
- Legal Lecture Series: How to Handle Your Children on Legal Issues: Led by Megan Wall of St. Johns County Legal Aid. 10 a.m. Friday, November 4
- Humana Presents: Understanding Medicare and Medicare Options – Wednesday, November 9 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Club Voyages: Presentation of upcoming travel opportunities on Thursday, November 17 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Happy Hookers: Come join this social group as they crochet, knit, and more. Every Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (no appointment on Nov. 8)
- Open Art Studio: Bring your art project to work while you socialize with other artists! Every Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (No appointment on Nov. 8)
- Mahjong: Bring your mahjong set and come play with others. Every Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. (no appointment on Nov. 8)
- Widow to Widow: Join us for a support group by widows for widows. 1st and 3rd Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Scrabble Open Play: Come socialize with others while playing this popular spelling game. Every Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Book Club: Join others to read and discuss various books. Every Wednesday from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Winter Wonderland Dance Show: On Wednesday, December 21 at 10:30 a.m., stop by River House for a free dance show presented by tap and belly dancing classes.
- The River House Discussion Group: Come and enjoy lively discussions on a variety of topics. Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. (No appointment on Nov. 24)
- Open Card Game: Bring your deck of cards and socialize over a friendly deck of cards of your choice. Every Thursday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. (no appointment on Nov. 24)
COA Center at Flagler Health+ Village in Nocatee
The following programs will be held at the COA Center at Flagler Health+ Village at Nocatee, 351 Town Plaza Ave., Suite 205, Ponte Vedra, FL 32081. Registration is required and seating is limited. Unless otherwise specified, please register by emailing [email protected] or by calling 904-819-3234. Classes are open to adults 18 years and older.
- Let’s talk about grief: a place where anyone who has experienced grief of any kind can come and learn more about grief with empathy and encouragement from others. A group leader will be present at each meeting. 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, November 1 for Part 1 and 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. November 8 for Part 2.
- Stretch and Relax: FREE stretching classes led by Alison Vitti will leave you relaxed and invigorated. All levels are invited to participate. 10 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 1 and Tuesday, Nov. 8
- Medicare Open Enrollment Assistance: Contact us today to schedule an appointment with a SHINE (Department of Seniors Affairs) representative for unbiased 2023 enrollment assistance. limited-you are available on Tuesdays, November 1 and 22. @stjohnscoa.com or call 904-819-3234 to schedule.
- Caregiver Support Group: All caregivers are welcome. A qualified facilitator is present at each meeting to guide the group. 1 to 2 p.m. every Tuesday.
- Widows and widowers: Meeting of the social group on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month. 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Nov. 8 and 22.
- Bereavement Support Group: You are not alone. This group is for anyone grieving from any type of loss and offers support and validation by being with people who have experienced loss. 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Tuesdays, Nov. 15 and 22.
- Healthy Holiday Meals: Join us to learn from Carla Defuria, Registered Dietitian and Health Coach at Flagler Health+ Village in Nocatee, about how to cook healthy holiday meals for your family and friends. 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 15
- Open Art: Bring your art or craft project to work while socializing with friends. 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. every Wednesday.
- Memory Café: A welcoming gathering for anyone with memory impairment and their care partner to enjoy refreshment and conversation together. Come laugh with us as we host and listen to local comedian Mama Marge. 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, November 2.
- Mah Jongg Meet-up: experienced players meet to play. 1 to 3 p.m. on Wednesdays, Nov. 2, 9, 23, 30 and 3 to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 16.
- Tai Chi: Improve mood, increase energy and stamina, improve flexibility, balance and muscle strength with instructor Dennis Sheils. The class can be done standing or seated. Wednesdays, from November 2 for five weeks; Lesson time 1:30 p.m. The cost is $30. To register, go to https://coasjc.coursestorm.com/category/coa-center-at-nocatee.
- Parkinson’s Meet, Greet & Learn: A special meeting for people living with Parkinson’s disease and/or their loved ones. Our guest speaker for November will be Janny Adkins RN, a Board Certified Holistic Nurse who will discuss and demonstrate integrative and holistic approaches to care. 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 2
- Ask the Pharmacist: Join us for an informative discussion with retired pharmacist and local resident, Ray Lowe. He will tell you about the role your pharmacist can play in ensuring the safety of your medications. There will be a Q&A session after the lecture. Individual questions can be discussed privately at the end of the event. 10 a.m. Wednesday, November 9.
- How to Manage Your Children on Legal Matters: Presented by Megan Wall, Chief Legal Aid Attorney for St. Johns County. Come and find out why, when and how to talk to your children about legal issues. 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 16
- Genealogy Group: A genealogy expert will be present to guide you in discovering your roots on the third Wednesday of each month. 1 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 16
- Caregiver Needs Assessment: Make an appointment with a trained dementia care specialist who will: schedule a time to discuss your situation 1:1; developing individualized education and needs assessment; support you, guide you and give you the means to find solutions to these needs. Call to make an appointment at 904-814-9407.